February 24, 2012

Again lurching forward


I’m back. In fact, I’m back to Luang Prabang after more than two years. I’m surprised that people remember me and that I still see my books around. I dreaded coming back to deal with the accounts because on the last visit, a school director practically threatened me when I tried to collect. I’m trying to swallow the losses and move on.

It’s been a good week, but I’m not sure if portals are opening or if it’s yet another revolving door that dumps be back out in the cold. I’m led to believe that I have the green light to introduce English programs at the University of Health Sciences, the Provincial Hospital, the largest high school in the city and the University at Luang Prabang.

They don’t flinch when I mention books. (Maybe they’ve had two years to look over them and people practically reach out to grab when they see the digital files. It’s the combination that I’m betting on. Digital files will cover the problems of resources, lesson planning, teaching training, testing … or sort of.

And I’m still introducing sign language. It didn’t fly that well with high schools students, but their teachers loved it. At one point I realized that teachers thought that every time I moved my hands they were actual signs and I could see people imitating them, So now they may think they know sign language for, “You know, anyway, of course.” I still love the magic of sign language. It makes people smile.